I realize Christmas was a week ago, but I’ve been busy and wanted to get in a couple end-of-year posts done last week. But now, here’s a look at some of the training-related loot I scored for Christmas:
1) Pillow – While it’s true I won’t be using this during an actual run (maybe on a trainer ride), it’s indisputable that I’ve been sleeping better this week thanks to my new high-tech pillow. It’s much nicer than the $10 Target pillow I had been using for a couple years. It’s hard to deny the benefits of a good night’s sleep when you’re in the thick of marathon training.
2) Foam roller – While I feel a bit awkward using it (how ’bout those adductors?), the foam roller has had a pronounced effect on my recovery after long and hard runs.
3) Compression sleeves – Paired with the foam roller, I’m starting to wonder how I made it through my previous marathon training seasons without these recovery tools. Pulling on the sleeves after a long run makes my legs feel amazing, and I’m starting to wonder if it would be OK to just start wearing them all the time.
4) Gift card – I haven’t decided what to get with this $100 gift card to Conte’s Bicycle and Fitness. Do I want to finally purchase a Garmin GPS watch, or spend the money on a nice cycling jersey or other cycling-related clothing? It’s nice to have options, and I won’t go wrong either way.
5) Running shorts – I really, really needed some new shorts, and these are much nicer than the ones I’ve been using for several years.
6) Running shirt – I also needed a new sleeveless shirt pretty badly. And, although it’s not pictured here, I bought myself a Saucony running singlet that I’ll probably reserve for races. My wife says it makes me look like a serious runner, which in her lexicon probably means “ridiculous” but I translate to mean “awesome.”
7) Speed parachute – As a fun novelty my brother got me a parachute to add some extra resistance when I’m working on my speedwork.
So that was my Christmas. I’ve already used everything here (except the gift card, of course) and have been very happy with it. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go foam roll my TFL before my wife gets home…
Swim: 0 m/0 m
Bike: 18.5/18.5 miles
Run: 9/9 miles